Pivnica Cajkov Pinot Gris 2019

Sale price Price £25.00 Regular price Unit price  per 

Tax included.

Marek Uhnák of Pivnica Čajkov has seen it all having studied oenology at university in the Czech Republic and with 20+ years of winemaking experience under his belt. His journey started in conventional winemaking, but after realising that the true representation of the local terroir is through low intervention methods, he switched to natural winemaking processes, and we are very thankful for that. 

Pivnica Čajkov is located in the Čajkov village, in the Nitra wine region with its volcanic Sitno terroir. Marek's vineyards are spread over the caldera hills formed by the eruption of the Sitno stratovolcano. The vineyards grow on a bedrock of tuff (compressed volcanic ashes) with just 20-30cm of topsoil. The tuff acts like a sponge, sucking in all the rain, so the vines grow very deep root systems to reach the water and with it ingest enormous amounts of minerals. This gives Marek's wines a characteristic mineral backbone that really exemplify the terroirs of the region. Marek produces mostly single varietal wines with some experimental blends depending on
the vintage. The total production is around 18,000 bottles per year. All of the wines are spontaneously fermented, with the majority aged in old oak barrels and bottled with minimum or no added sulphites. The wines are unfined and unfiltered and are
all vegan.  

Described by Marek as "an elegant and dangerous gentleman - our Don Corleone." He decided to split his 2019 harvest with 70% of the grapes spending 6 days fermenting on the skins while the other 30% spent a month on the skins. After a gentle pressing, the resulting gravity fed juice was blended before ageing in oak barrel with gentle access to oxygen from a soft flor. Saline and mineral with plenty of ripe raspberry and tart rhubarb. Bottled without additions.

Varietal:
Pinot Gris (100%)

Region:
Nitra, Slovakia

Farming:
Sustainable

13%

75cl